This is a self-guided tour of the Ravenswood neighborhood. The tour starts at the Metra Stop for Ravenswood and proceeds south along Commercial Avenue (now Hermitage). The people who lived along the route, the architecture and the history of the area will be discussed.
The tour is under two miles and is flat.
Do not park on Ravenswood north of Lawrence as the parking there is private. There is public parking on Ravenswood south of Lawrence both east and west of the Metra railroad. There is also metered parking on Lawrence.
Most side streets in this area are not zoned, meaning you can park on most side streets.
There are numerous restaurants available for relief and refreshment. They are located on Ravenswood, Lawrence, Irving Park and Montrose. A small play lot is available near the end of the tour. In summer the play lot will have a working water fountain.
Near the end of the tour is a large city park with rest rooms and working water fountains.
The tour will use geo-location from your cellular device in the future. It is currently available off-line.
For your convenience, the tour is published below.
- A Walking Tour of Old Ravenswood
- The Illiniwek
- Abbott Labs
- Home of Carl Sandburg
- Fitzgerald Houses
- Jenson Building
- Abbott Mansion
- Wilson Avenue
- All Saints Episcopal Church
- Galloway House
- Ravenswood YMCA
- 19th Century Rentals
- Andrews House
- Ravenswood United Methodist Church
- Sinclair House (Hudson House)
- Kirkham House
- 1st Congregational Church/ Library Hall
- Cole House
- Ravenswood Presbyterian Church
- Helen Zatterberg Playlot Park
- Emanuel House
- Hamlin House
- Linthicum House
- Progress Building (Deagan Building)
- Friends of Rod Blagojevich
- Capt. Knight House
- Bethany United Church of Christ
- Ackley House
- Pettit House
- Ravenswood Elementary School
- Sulzer Family
- Paul-Mont Apartments
- Washburn House
- Thisslew Apartments
- Philadelphia Romanian Church (Ravenswood Church of Christ Scientist)
- Bennett Apartments
- American Indian Center (Masonic Temple)
- Truc Lam Temple (Ravenswood Club)
- Our Lady of Lourdes Church
- Chase Park (Gunther Park)